20100327

A film review: 'Ninja Assassin'

Origin: United States · Languages: English, Japanese
Director: James McTeigue
Writers: Matthew Sand, J. Michael Straczynski
Genres: Martial arts, action · Release: November 25, 2009

Casts:
Rain, Naomi Harris, Ben Miles, Sho Kosugi
 
More info: IMDb

I have a lot of shit on my minds but... it all just went kaput.

I seriously hate that. That's why most of my blog entries will turn out totally different than I thought it'd be written. Same goes with anything in my life that I wanted to commence. Fuck that...

Hmm... what should I say now? Uh, okay, let's go with this particular movie.

Hmm... first off, what an interesting choice for the lead; the motherfucking girls' sensation RAIN?! And he did went shirtless most of the time, probably to attract female viewers  for starters, and his character was NOT the good old stereotypical lovey-dovey character, but it's the exact opposite; an assassination ninja that is full of hatred! He didn't even gross out when blood was splattered! He was like... totally NOT the K-Pop / CLEARmen's commercial model that I know! And then, this thing got to me; it's about NINJAS, the JAPANESE icon, but they got a KOREAN to be the lead. The same goes with the American reinterpretation of Blood: The Last Vampire. Do the Americans still beef with the Japanese even now?

Okay, enough about Rain. Let's talk about the movie. It was pretty straight-forward, and really got to the climax at lightning speed. Raizo was a pretty kickass, badass ninja, who wanted to get a dose of his 'dad' of the Ozunu Clan, the very same clan that trained him to be a cold-blooded assassin. Meanwhile, there's a chick named Mika who really thought ninja clans still exist, but her superior thought otherwise. Then they met, got into some deep shit, fought a seemingly endless wave of ninjas and then, the revenge part.

Positives; who can go wrong with good old hack-and-slash gorefest? I thought this was just a regular action movie when I first heard of it, but when I saw scars and bruises on Raizo in the film's trailer, and words from my cousins stating that Rain was a motherfucking bad-ass, I think I just have to watch it. The fighting choreography, although has an epic fail of portraying exactly how ninjas kick butt (or maybe I'M the epic fail, 'cause I don't really know how exactly does a ninja kick one's glute), was pretty awesome. But the bad thing about the fighting sequence, it's like playing Splinter Cell for god's sake; because most of the scenes were done in heavily, poorly lit, and sometimes even in pitch black, VERY DARK environments! Damn! Storyline wise? It's like The Machine Girl, minus the dark humour part. It was TOO serious!

All in all, even though professional critics have condemned this film, I'd say it's a decent gore movie to note. I don't watch this genre that much, so beggars can't be choosers.

No comments: